Steps on what to do with your new website and how to build a great online presence!
01. Spread the Word
The most important thing to do initially is drive traffic to your new site. This will help google index it faster. Here are some ways to consider getting the word out:
- Email Newsletter – if you have an email list, let them know that your new site has launched and how it can help their business. Mailchimp is highly recommend.
- Social Media – use your network of Facebook friends, family or co-workers to get the word out. If you’re active on LinkedIn, Instagram or other socials, share away!!
- Word of Mouth – if you’re as excited as we are when your site launches, tell those around you! Get their feedback about your new online presence when considering future additions.
02. Ask for Reviews
This is important for businesses being googled and found online, a user will look at reviews almost immediately. Here are some we recommend:
- Google Review – these pop up when somebody finds your site with an online search. You can either have your customers google your business, then leave a review OR you can use this site to generate a direct link.
- Facebook Reviews – ask your customers to leave a review on your Facebook Business Page and have them share it. Or get their permission for you to share it.
- Testimonials for Website – gather 5-10 good, personalized reviews (via email or from google or Facebook reviews) and set up a testimonials page. Users will often look for reviews ON the site before making a purchase, calling or emailing. We recommend putting the best ones on the site.
03. Keep Things Fresh & Updated
After your website has been live for awhile, we recommend doing some things to keep it fresh:
- Update Images – we recommend updating images 1-3 times a year. If your website has a main hero image on the home page, it’s important to keep that fresh for repeat visitors.
- Colors – if your site has been sitting for more than a year or so, it’s strongly recommended that you do something to spice it up. Whether it’s making some cosmetic changes to the action colors or menu bar, or even just adjusting or adding some new graphics/images.
- Keep Your Information Updated – if information, staff, hours or services change for your business, be sure to change the website too!
04. Build Site Content
A website is viewed by google as being “alive” or “dead.” An “alive” site is driving traffic, getting new and existing users, being updated, posting new blogs and content. If your site is “dead” – not being managed, updated or taken care of – it can impact your SEO ranking dramatically. Here’s some options on how to build your website content:
- Blog – websites with blogs generally drive 30-40% more traffic to their sites than their competitors. Google will often pick up blog posts before picking up major website pages. If you can contribute good, lasting content that is well thought out and valuable to your customers, you will drive more traffic. It’s worth having someone maintain a solid website blog to drive your traffic and grow your online presence.
- New Pages – it’s generally good practice to not only update your images and graphics, but also your content! If you have more services to add to your site, do it! Google LOVES seeing that a site is being built on to. You can also repeat the steps above by reposting your site to your social media outlets and saying that you have updated images, content, new blog post, etc.
- Updated Content – even adjusting content by a few words can show google that your site is being worked on and is again…”alive”.
05. MAINTAIN Your Website
Your website will be launched with the current version of WordPress, Plugins and Theme. It is the website owners responsibility to manage their site:
- Update Plugins and Theme regularly
- Check all links work and web pages are loading after updates
- Backups regulary
Need step by step training to maintain and update your site?
Don’t have time for site maintenance? Ask us about this service, we offer:
- Monthly WordPress Version, Plugins and Theme updates
- Backup your site and ensure your site is working properly
- Up to 3 minor website changes every month
- Plus, Google Analytics report each month
06. Protect Your Website
If required, we have enabled and installed FREE versions of security plugins and certificates, it’s recommended to upgrade these:
- SSL Certificate ‘Let’s Encryt’ can be updated to a paid certificated by calling your host
- WordFence Security can be updated to a PREMIUM paid version from your WordPress login
- Updraft Plus Backup can be updated to a PREMIUM paid version from your WordPress login